Le Havre, a fishing village
Le Havre is famous, not only within the region of Normandy but through France and the rest of Europe as well due to the fact that it has one of the largest and most important sea ports of France. This way, it is easy to imagine the importance of fishing related activities for this town and the way in which its people and their traditions have a strong bond with the sea.
The town of Le Havre is located at about 130 miles from Paris, 40 miles from Rouen and 40 miles from Caen, in the French Department of Seine Maritime. It can be found towards the right side of the Seine River and facing the coast of the English Channel in such a way that the landscapes it offers are one of the main attractions of the area.
During the XVI century, Le Havre went through some important changes and historical events. Around the year 1516, a port was built in Le Havre under the orders of the French royalty. After that, during the Religious Wars within first years of the decade of 1560, the town went through critical moments and became under the control of the English, although the town's people and the architecture weren't hardly damaged and a year after it the French gained the control over this town back.
The port was partially re constructed during the XVII century under the orders of the main minister of Louis XIII, Richelieu. After that, and within the XIX century, some of the port areas were re constructed again under the orders of Napoleon, but it always kept its main characteristics unchanged and nowadays visitors can observe most of its features as they were when it originally was.
Besides this port, there also are several other interesting spots and constructions to meet in Le Havre. One of these constructions is the Church of Notre dame de Bonsecours. This church was built during the XVI century, after what, during the XVII century it also received a few changes and new ornaments. Among a few others, this building is one of the constructions which visitors should not miss while being in Le Havre.